This webpage covers research projects (RP) and research theses (RT) for coursework students. If you are a HDR student, please click here.

1. Brief Information

First, please understand the differences between RP and RT before enrolling. In summary:

  • RP (projects): you can register right away without requesting permission by simply accessing EAIT Research Topics
  • RT (theses): you need to apply for approval by sending an email using the template shown below under the subsection Permission to enrol

Second, further to the difference between RP and RT, note that the number of units varies from 2, 4, and 8. Therefore, you must select the correct course code appropriate to your studies. In summary (see course codes in the table below):

  • Two-unit courses: Run over one single semester, and you enrol just once
  • Four-unit courses: Run over two semesters (full year), and you must enrol in the same course code for each semester
  • Eight-unit courses: Run over two semesters (full year), and you must enrol in the same course code for each semester

Third, please browse our list of available research topics under EAIT Research Topics to find a topic of your interest. Then, select the appropriate year, semester, and school "CIVIL" to filter relevant topics. You will be allocated based on your preference and academic supervision load. Allocations will be on a first-in, first-served basis.

2. Permission to enrol in research theses (RT)

The pre-requisite requirement to enrol in a thesis course is:

  • CIVL4604 + CIVL46xx – requires cumulative GPA of 4.8 or higher
  • CIVL7500 + CIVL7501 – requires cumulative GPA of 5.0 or higher

This will be checked when you submit your request. You must use the email template below to request permission. Make sure to replace [xxxx] with your data.

Dear Officer,
I want to apply for permission to enrol in a Research Thesis (RT) program under the code CIVL[xxxx].
My full name is: [xxxx]
My student number is: [xxxx]
Kind regards,

Send your email to 

Requests for permission to enrol will be assessed once final grades for the current semester have been released. Upon approval, you will receive an email confirming which project and supervisor you have been allocated. Afterward, you will need to complete the Coursework Project Agreement, which will be attached to the email confirmation. 

3. Course codes


Course commencing Semester 1

Course commencing Semester 2

Course Units


CIVL4600 Research Project (single semester)CIVL4600 Research Project (single semester)



CIVL4604 Research Thesis (full year)CIVL46xx Research Thesis (full year)


BE/ME (Civil)

CIVL7500 Research Thesis (full year)

CIVL7501 Research Thesis (full year)


BE/ME (Civil & Fire Safety)

MCivEng (Professional)

ME (Civil)

MEngSc (Civil)

MEngSc/Management (Civil)
MCivEng (Professional)

ME (Civil)

MEngSc (Civil)

MEngSc/Management (Civil)

MEngSc (Fire Safety)

CIVL7513 Research Project (full year)

CIVL7515 Research Project (single semester)

CIVL7514 Research Project (full year)

CIVL7515 Research Project (single semester)